Wednesday, October 27, 2010
Last Minute Halloween Rescues
Holy Moly! Halloween is almost here! Where has the time gone? I had a nasty run-in with some defective spray blood already this year, and when I went used fabric paint to style my Halloween dress the thing started looking like roadkill. In a knee-jerk response, I ordered a back-up costume for overnight delivery, but if I can be caught off-guard by Halloween, what about the rest of you with jobs and stuff? So here are a few Halloween ideas for you last minute revelers:
1. Dust Bunny: This requires a pair of bunny ears and a feather duster. With all the skanky costumes Halloween stores stock this time of year, you should be able to get these with no problem.
2. Spider Web: This is a take off on the classic ghost costume. Get a big piece of cheese cloth, rip, shread, and tear. Make sure you put some holes in it for your eyes. Glue plastic spiders to it. Allow it to dry. Toss it over your head.
3. Crazy Cat Lady: This may take a little more time to execute, but is damn fabulous. Get a pile of toy stuffed cats. Those Beanie things look like they might work well. Take an old bathrobe. Attach cats to the robe. You may want to put a few catsup claw marks on your legs for realism.
4. Jewelry Box: I stole this one from my mother-in-law. Go to your jewelry box. Pile on every piece of jewelry that you own. Viola!
5. Middle-of-the-road: Dress in solid black. Use duct tape to tape a centerline down your center.
6. Zombie-Anything: With a few simple tools you can pretty much Zombiefy any outfit. You should ALWAYS have these on hand. (Even when vacationing.) Go with a gray, green or whitish palor make-up base. Use black, brown or grey eyeshadow for that sunken eye, skeletal look. Go outside. Roll around in the dirt. Have sissors on hand to rip tear, and trash whatever you are wearing. Food-coloring, paint, catsup anthing red for blood -- apply liberally -- BINGO! You are a Zombie.
7. Bag-Lady: Take a pile of plastic grocery bags. Safety pin them to your clothes.
These are just a few of ideas. Please feel free to share any of your last minute costumes ideas. The world needs your input!