Monday, August 16, 2010

Vintage Tupperware???

tupperware
I love old stuff. The cheesier the better. I actually have a collection of the plastic moo-cow creamers you used to be able to purchase at truck stops throughout this great nation. As a friend once said: "If it collects dust, I collect it." Among my dazzling collections are (and just put "vintage" in front of any of these): Flour sifters, salt and pepper shakers, flamingos, pre-Disney Floridana, hammered aluminum, the aforementioned collection of moo-cow creamers, old advertising (if it's on metal it's better) and/or ANYTHING breathtakingly tasteless. Lately in my search for vintage weirdness, I have been pulling up A LOT of Tupperware. I just don't get it. I understand outfitting your kitchen storage needs with the stuff, but once that is over, Tupperware is just sort of, well TUPPERWARE. Although I am pleased that there FINALLY something I have no interest in collecting! I just don't get it.

Red Tupperware Pak-N-Carry Lunchbox

Tupperware is just so damn FUNCTIONAL. I didn't realize that people have actually found some aesthetic value in something so, well, BORING. Not to mention that it is virtually indestructible so there are mountains of the Tupperware floating the thrifts, yard sales and flea markets. Maybe it's mass inexpensive availability is what makes it appealing as a collectible.

WHIRLEY MOO COW CREAMER PURPLE WITH YELLOW SIPPY STRAW CUP N CREAMER CAPE COD

My big problem with it is that Tupperware is not even tasteless enough to be amusing. If you collect a huge wall of Tupperware, guests will just look at it an go: "My, you have a lot of Tupperware." and silently question your sanity.

Technology has also created a plethora of food storage technology that is just light years away from Tupperware. There is stuff you can microwave, shove carelessly into the dishwasher, freeze and drop from the top of a ten-story building without it spilling. My mother was always sort of particular about her Tupperware too, and reserved it as her "good" storage. For "everyday" storage, she utilized recycled Cool Whip bowls or a Parkay tub. Perhaps this perceived "special handling" has put me off of Tupperware's utilitarian value in favor of more indestructible product, but I don't understand why anybody would collect it.

Any ideas?

8 comments:

  1. I'm with you on the tupperware. I have some that I still use, I love the handled collender. It tickled me that you quoted me. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. No Tupperware here, although the movers packed ALL my very expensive Calphalon into a box marked "Tupperware" where it disappeared for several years.

    I quote all the greats!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember those canisters and I remember the cow cream containers, too.

    And as far as the pre-Disney Floridana - it's still alive and well, I'm happy to report. Florida is the kitsch capital of the world, with Niagara Falls a close second.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just in case I have stockpiled pre-Disney Floridana careful preserved in the basement. My specialty is Cypress Gardens and flamingos. I just love a water-ski pyramid!

    My husband has a vintage cigarette lighter from Niagra Falls that his Grandpa owned. It's FABULOUS!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm telling you, you need some of those Tim Hollis books....

    ReplyDelete
  6. I want those green and yellow ones.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So you're the one buying this stuff?

    ReplyDelete